1. “Chewbacca” actor Peter Mayhew has a pretty cool lightsaber cane.
It’s good to see my old friend….
2. Unfortunately, it’s not exactly TSA-friendly.
@AmericanAir won’t allow me through the airport with me cane! Can I get a retweet?
The Associated Press reports that agents at Denver International Airport stopped Mayhew to inspect his cane on June 3, prompting an agitated tweet from the 7-foot-tall actor and outrage from his some of his 25,000+ followers.
4. The agents eventually released Mayhew in time for his flight.
Magic words to TSA are not “please” or “thank you”.. It’s “Twitter”.. cane released to go home..
But not without some confusion about why exactly Mayhew was allowed through security. From the AP:
Many subsequent media reports made it seem as though security officials buckled to pressure from Chewie’s fans in allowing the actor to board the flight to Dallas with the cane, but officials say that characterization is inaccurate.
“Because of the unusual weight of the passenger’s cane, a security officer alerted a supervisor. Less than five minutes later the passenger and cane were cleared to travel. Social media played no role in the determination,” the TSA said in a brief statement released to The Associated Press on Saturday.
- Thanks to Paul Ryan, Papa Roach's teen-angst smash "Last Resort" has become the internet's unofficial anthem for the owned 😬🎤
- Markets are saying "Vive la France" after pro-EU centrist Emmanuel Macron gained the most votes in the 1st round of the French election.
- A Pro-Trump site is showing that with a big Facebook page and catchy headlines, you can have almost zero content and still make money.
- Tim Hortons, Canada's biggest coffee chain, is opening its first UK store next month ahead of a rollout across the country 🍩