2. The University of California, Santa Barbara, canceled classes Tuesday and held a memorial for six students who were murdered Friday night.
The killings happened as Elliot Rodger went on a violent rampage around Isla Vista, near the school’s campus. Another 13 people were injured.
4. Richard Martinez — father of victim Christopher Michael-Martinez — spoke at the memorial and called the killings “unbelievable.”
During his speech, Martinez recalled watching his son play football in high school. He recalled a scrimmage game where a larger boy plowed into Michael-Martinez, knocking him down. Richard thought his son might be injured, but just seconds later he hopped up, stomped his foot, and marched back into the action.
“That’s the kind of kid Chris was.”
6. He went on to lead the crowd in a chant of “Not one more.”
“Life doesn’t have to be like this,” Martinez said to the crowded stadium of mourners. He went on to criticize politicians who he said have done nothing to stop the kind of violence that killed his son.
8. Martinez encouraged the crowd to reach out to lawmakers in hopes of finding ways to stop similar violence from happening in the future.
Martinez suggested sending postcards to lawmakers or using Twitter hashtags to express a desire for change.
10. Michael-Martinez and the other five victims were all students at UCSB.
Police have identified the other victims as:
• Veronika Weiss, 19
• Katherine Breann Cooper, 22
• Weihan Want, 20
• Cheng Yuan Hong, 20
• George Chen, 19
12. Thousands of UCSB students and faculty attended the memorial.
14. Rodger, a student at a nearby college, took his own life at the end of the killing spree. The community has been grieving ever since.
16. In a lengthy and hate-filled document about his life, Rodger said he decided to kill because he was rejected by women.
18. Tuesday’s memorial was just the latest event after a weekend of mourning.
20. In addition to Tuesday’s memorial, others have sprung up in the community, in some cases at the sites where the killings happened.
A woman places a candle in front of IV Deli Mart, where part of Friday night’s mass shooting took place.
Rinda Sutrarhada, 20, writes the names of the victims from Fridays shooting a remembrance wall across the street from the IV Deli Mart.
- Fyre Festival — organized by Ja Rule and billed as a luxury event — has turned into a total shitshow and people are livid 💸😱
- We found about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯
- The new leader of Marine Le Pen's National Front party in France has stepped down amid accusations of Holocaust denial.
- Arkansas executed Kenneth Williams Thursday night — just days before one of the state's execution drugs expires.