Pink Floyd in 1972.
2. Pink Floyd, who formed almost 50 years ago, are actually coming out with a new album. In case you’re not entirely up-to-date on the band, here are your questions, answered:
3. 1. How do we know Pink Floyd are coming out with a new album?
Polly Samson, the wife of guitarist and singer David Gilmour, tweeted about it Saturday:
Backup vocalist Durga McBroom-Hudson also said Saturday the album was originally going to be instrumental but she has since added vocals.
6. 2. I haven’t heard about Pink Floyd in forever. They’re still around?
Yes. Although Pink Floyd are best remembered for 1970s albums like The Wall and The Dark Side of the Moon, the band’s most recent album came out in 1994. It’s called The Division Bell and you can listen to the entire thing on YouTube.
Though it’s been 20 years since the band put out new material, the members have kept busy over the years with personal projects and occasionally playing together.
Pink Floyd co-founder and musician Roger Waters performs in Quebec City on July 21, 2012.
10. 3. I’ve heard of The Wall and The Dark Side of the Moon. But remind me again what they sound like.
Gladly. Here’s The Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety:
And here’s a much shorter section from The Wall that you’ll probably recognize:
14. 4. Who is in Pink Floyd?
Like many bands that have been around for a long time, Pink Floyd have seen members come and go over the years. However, during Pink Floyd’s most influential years in the 1970s the band consisted of Nick Mason, Roger Waters, Richard Wright, and David Gilmour. By 1988, only Wright, Gilmour, and Mason were still with the band.
Rick Wright died of cancer in 2008, after releasing two solo albums. His last performance with the band was in 2005.
It is unclear who exactly will appear on the new album. Waters in particular has had a less-than-stellar relationship with the other members in the past, though he has played with the band in recent years. There was no word Saturday on his involvement.
17. 5. Why does any of this matter?
Pink Floyd are an older band, but they’re hugely influential. Whenever someone makes one of those rock ‘n’ roll flow charts, for example, Pink Floyd always feature prominently.
- UK voters sent a massive shock through the world, overturning 40 years of British EU membership.
- Prime Minister David Cameron says he will resign by October.
- British banks got hit hard, and their European peers were hit even harder.
- Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon says a second independence referendum for Scotland is "highly likely."