2. A video posted to YouTube Thursday appears to show the destruction of Jonah’s tomb in Mosul, Iraq.
The tomb is thought to be the burial place of the Old Testament prophet who survived in the belly of a whale. Officials in Mosul said militants with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) planted explosives around the shrine and detonated them remotely, CNN reports. The militants are trying to impose Sharia law in the areas under their control.
3. The mosque that included Jonah’s tomb, as seen on Saturday:
4. The mosque after it was destroyed Thursday:
5. The tomb was located inside a Sunni mosque.
Jonah features prominently in Islam, Judaism, and Christianity, but the tomb was located inside the Mosque of the Prophet Younis, a Sunni worship site. The ISIS has blown up several Sunni holy sites in Mosul recently, CNN reports, and last month destroyed seven Shiite sites in Tal Afar, about 30 miles from Mosul.
7. ISIS has also been driving Christians out of Mosul.
Earlier this month, the radical Islamic group — which took over Mosul in June — gave Christians in the city the choice to either flee, pay a $470, or face execution. The city’s last 1,500 Christian families were then robbed a ISIS checkpoints, according to The Guardian, and a group of monks were only allowed to take the clothes they were wearing.
The U.N. also has reported that ISIS has ordered female genital mutilation in Mosul.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- A Kansas man shot three people after allegedly yelling "get out of my country." He thought two of them were Middle Eastern, but they weren't.
- Beyoncé is backing out of Coachella under doctors' advice. But she plans to headline the festival again in 2018 😭🐝