2. As of Tuesday, more than 48 percent of the U.S. was experiencing abnormally dry conditions, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor.
The percent of the country experiencing abnormal dryness dropped slightly over the last week. However, the area experiencing “exceptional” drought — which is the most extreme category — ticked up slightly.
5. The entire state of California is experiencing drought.
The least impacted parts of California are the extreme northern and southern regions, but even they are experiencing severe drought. More than two thirds of the state is experiencing extreme drought and nearly a quarter is experiencing exceptional drought.
7. Fire authorities say the droughts are to blame for the extreme wildfires that have burned thousands of acres near San Diego.
A mountain top home burns in the Cocos fire Thursday, May 15, 2014, in San Marcos, California.
Cal Fire Assistant Regional Chief Tom Porter said Thursday during a news conference that after 12 months of dryness dead vegetation has become highly volatile.
Cal Fire spokesman Daniel Berlant added that drought makes for a very busy fire season. “The drought has set the stage,” he told BuzzFeed.
10. But California isn’t the only part of the country experiencing crushing drought. Much of Central Texas also is exceptionally dry.
12. Western Oklahoma is seeing exceptional drought conditions too.
14. Even large swaths of normally rainy Hawaii are experiencing abnormal dryness.
The U.S. Drought monitor predicts continued dryness for the western U.S. over the next week, though temperatures in California should drop.
- Donald Trump just announced he will "totally accept" the election results….if he wins.
- People are really pissed over this "Grab Her By The Brain" campaign based on Donald Trump's comments about women.
- Think before you trust Facebook: Hyperpartisan pages are posting false or misleading information up to 38% of the time 💻⁉️
- This guy casually sat in a flooding Starbucks during intense storms in Hong Kong and became the internet's newest hero.