Cliven Bundy has released a series of civic-minded videos that explain the origins of the U.S., the constitution and other history favorites. The videos are all pretty much the same: Bundy sitting in a chair and providing a garbled version of the stories you learned in elementary school.
Here are some of the highlights:
1. The Pilgrims thought the world was flat and feared falling off the edge of the ocean.
“Back then transportation was in a sail boat that they figured wasn’t very far out there. The ocean was flat and would fall off from it. That was how much education, how much we knew about the ocean.” — From Describe the Proper Form of Government —Part 1.
2. 200 years ago, Europe was ruled by a central government, which lorded over America with its army and unlimited power.
“They [the Pilgrims] had a central government, which was Europe. Was the strongest army in the world. And they ruled with unlimited power. And there was a point that they decided they wasn’t going to live that way any more. And so they had a revolution.” — From Describe the Proper Form of Government — Part 1.
3. The American Revolution led to an idyllic anarchist state in which there was basically no government whatsoever.
“We didn’t have a state government, we didn’t have a national government. Those things didn’t exist. They had the 13 colonies. But we the people formed the constitution. One thing we didn’t want was a central government. We didn’t want a big central government. We didn’t want a big state government. We was even weary about having a local government. So one thing we didn’t create is a big central government.” From Describe the Proper Form of Government — Part 1.
4. Puerto Rico is screwed because there is literally nothing to keep the government in check there.
“Congress had unlimited power over those people [in U.S. territories] and they still do have that same power over Puerto Rico and a few of these territories. So congress has unlimited power but over territories.” — FromDescribe the Proper Form of Government — Part 2.
- Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill, but it took only 2 days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- Prime Minister Theresa May is starting the UK's withdrawal process from the European Union this week. But how will Brexit work?
- We tried Fitbit's new slim Alta HR activity band, which comes with heart-rate tracking technology that's typically found on chunkier devices 🏃
- And Muslims in Birmingham told BuzzFeed News what it's like in the city that finds itself under the spotlight because of the murderous actions of London attacker Khalid Masood.