1. Pick a soundtrack, then scroll down:
12. The Eagle landed late in the day on July 20. The mission plan actually called for the astronauts to take a five hour nap after landing, but (obviously) they couldn’t sleep and got ready to go outside instead.
Armstrong and Aldrin made it outside early on July 21. This picture — taken by Aldrin — shows Armstrong outside the lunar module after the landing.
Armstrong was the first person outside and there was some discussion over the years over what he said. He claims to have stated, “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.” However, those listening on earth heard only, “that’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” The omission of the “a” makes less sense, but that’s what it sounded like.
17. They were greeted as heroes.
In this picture, Chicago throws a ticker tape parade for the Apollo 11 astronauts.
- Hillary Clinton has picked Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine as her running mate. He was considered a favorite for the ticket.
- At least 10 people, including the gunman, are dead after a shooting at a mall in Munich, Germany.
- Trying to catch 'em all on Pokémon Go? This guy pretty much already beat you to it 🐣 🏃