1. 1. Fires in San Diego County destroyed dozens of homes in the cities of Carlsbad, Escondido, San Marcos, and elsewhere.
Jeff Buchanan waters the scorched earth around a neighbor’s house that burned to the ground during a wildfire Thursday in Escondido.
2. 2. Thousands were evacuated as the flames edged closer to their homes.
Houses sit untouched above a canyon ravaged by wildfire Friday in Carlsbad.
4. 4. Even as crews stamped out some fires, others sprang up nearby, including four at Camp Pendleton alone.
A helicopter transporting water flies over trees during a wildfire Thursday in Escondido.
5. 5. By Friday, about a dozen different fires had scorched more than 20,000 acres.
People look over a canyon ravaged by wildfire Friday in Carlsbad.
6. 6. Most evacuations were ending by Friday.
Firefighter Philip Pinal, of Cal-Fire Lions Valley, searches for burning embers in a devastated home after a wildfire Friday in Carlsbad.
7. 7. The fires also destroyed several commercial buildings.
The charred remains of the Sound-Elkin business smolder after being hit by wildfires in Carlsbad.
8. 8. The Poinsettia fire, which hit Carlsbad, was mostly contained Friday, though the Cocos Fire in nearby San Marcos continued to rage.
Greg Saska moves a vase that he brought back from Italy with his foot as he stands outside his home that was destroyed by wildfire Thursday in Carlsbad.
9. 9. Though the fires burned mostly in San Diego County, they created smokey air throughout Southern California.
A smoky haze obscures the Los Angeles skyline Friday May 16.
10. 10. With dry conditions and plenty of dead brush, fire officials say California’s fire season will likely be extraordinarily active in 2014.
Jack Elkins looks at his backyard fruit trees, ravaged by wildfire Tuesday, May 13, in San Diego.
- An American-Israeli teen has been arrested in Israel for bomb threats to Jewish community centers in the US, say the FBI.
- Republicans worked into the morning trying to finalize a deal that would allow their Obamacare replacement plan to pass in the House.
- The suspect in the London terror attack near Parliament, who was killed by police, has been identified as 52-year-old Khalid Masood.
- A Russian former MP and Putin critic was shot and killed outside an upscale hotel in Ukraine Thursday.