1. DO: Negotiate your starting salary, even if you're afraid.
2. DON'T: Text or Gchat on your personal account while you're on the clock, if you can help it.
3. DO: Learn how to network, even if you think you have no connections.
4. DON'T: Spill personal details to Mandy the PR girl just because she sits next to you.
5. DO: Consider negotiating for more vacation days or a flexible schedule if your company is firm on salary.
6. DON'T: Be too shy or closed off.
7. DO: Use your youthful enthusiasm to your advantage.
8. DON'T: Get *too* drunk at happy hour.
9. DO: Know that "soft skills" are the most important thing about your new job.
10. DON'T: Ask for a raise until one year in, unless it seems natural to broach the topic at a semi-annual review.
11. DO: Try your hardest to stay at your company for at least a year.
12. DON'T: Get bummed out if this isn't your dream job.
13. DO: Ask your co-workers what they make, if you trust them.
Deputy Editorial Director, BuzzFeed San Francisco
Contact Jessica Misener at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.