1. The Texas legislature passed one of the most restrictive abortion bills in the country Saturday. The bill bans most abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
Texas Lieutenant Gov. David Dewhurst strikes the gavel after the Senate passed legislation restricting abortion rights in Austin, Texas, Saturday.
2. Democrats promised they would fight the bill with legal action.
Texas state Democratic Sen.Wendy Davis votes against a motion to table an amendment to Senate Bill 1 (SB1) as the state Senate meets to consider legislation restricting abortion rights.
3. There were more than 2,000 demonstrators at the capitol building opposed to the bill.
4. Including six who were removed by state troopers for attempting to disrupt the legislature’s debate.
An abortion rights activist is handcuffed after being removed from the Senate gallery after disrupting the Senate’s special session.
9. Texas state Democratic Senators (from left to right) Sylvia Garcia, Wendy Davis, and Kirk Watson acknowledge abortion rights protesters as they leave the Senate floor after failing to prevent the passage of the bill.
11. Gov. Rick Perry is expected to sign the bill in the next few days. Gov. Perry said,
Today the Texas Legislature took its final step in our historic effort to protect life. This legislation builds on the strong and unwavering commitment we have made to defend life and protect women’s health.
- The election is really, really over now: Jill Stein has dropped her Pennsylvania recount request, making Donald Trump the absolute winner.
- At least 9 are dead and 25 missing after a warehouse party fire in Oakland, CA. Dozens of fatalities are feared.
- Cuba prepares to bury Fidel Castro: his ashes arrived in Santiago Saturday, the city where he declared his socialist revolution victorious.
- This 23--year-old got her lost driver's license back in the mail along with a hilarious thank you note 📝😂