2. It’s where WWE fighters learn their moves.
3. And stay in shape.
4. And of course, craft their “wrestling persona.”
5. The $2.5 million, 26,000-square-foot facility is WWE’s largest investment to date.
6. It replaces an older facility located in Tampa that was a much smaller warehouse with no air conditioning.
7. More than 75 aspiring wrestlers will train there, like Corey Graves, right. “Most kids grow up and at least at some point in their lives want to be a fireman or a cop. I’ve always wanted to be a pro wrestler since I was a little kid,” he said.
8. According to the Associated Press:
Aspiring wrestlers currently in training range from former NFL players and Olympians to a former beauty pageant contestant. They signed contracts allowing them to work solely on becoming wrestlers … Those who succeed will advance to WWE’s “Raw” and “Smackdown” television broadcasts, as well as to pay-per-view shows, like “WrestleMania.”
9. WWE’s senior vice president of talent and development Jane Geddes said, “The end goal is to be a star on TV. In order to do this job you have to be so committed to what you do.”
11. The WWE was founded in 1952. It was previously known as the World Wrestling Federation, or WWF, but the organization changed its name following a 2000 lawsuit by the World Wide Fund for Nature. It generates a revenue of half a billion dollars annually.
12. “Total Divas,” a program about female WWE wrestlers, is now airing on E!.
13. Here’s video of the new facility.
14. Read more: New Training Center Cultivating WWE’s Next Crop
- The Republican chair of the House probe into Russia and Trump should step down after secretly meeting with a source at the White House, say top Democrats.
- The Scottish parliament has voted for an independence referendum that could result in Scotland leaving the UK.
- President Trump will sign an executive order on Tuesday stopping the EPA's plan to limit power plants burning coal.
- Facebook will start globally rolling out three features today on iOS and Android that strongly resemble Snapchat. They're called Camera, Direct, and Stories.