1. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) listed President George W. Bush as one of three men who saved the United States from a second Great Depression.
2. Schumer told The New York Times, “[Federal Reserve Chairman] Ben Bernanke, along with George Bush and Barack Obama, saved us from another Great Depression. Twenty years from now, that’s what history will say about all three of them.”
3. Schumer was previously a vocal critic of Bush, criticizing his “disastrous course” in 2008.
4. “On economic issues, Bush was not an ideologue,” Schumer said. “On his most important economic appointment, he showed who he was.” Bush selected Bernanke, a Princeton University economics professor and expert on the Great Depression, as chairman in 2005.
5. Obama reappointed Bernanke as chairman in 2009. He is expected to step down from the position later this year.
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists say they've discovered an eighth continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat and the exchange was ~confusing~.