1. There's that lovely moment when the interviewer says, "Tell me about yourself," and you have no idea where to start.
2. Or when you study the company and do all this research and then forget everything the moment you start speaking.
3. When they ask you why you want to work there.
4. When they ask you what your biggest weaknesses are....as if you have any.
But seriously, the "biggest weakness" question is such a lose-lose situation. You either sound like a douchey humblebragger...
...or you end up revealing an awkwardly honest thing about yourself.
And we all know honesty has no place in the job interview!
5. When they don't respect your non-traditional but clearly qualified experience.
6. Or when you get stuck in the "Do you have experience?" Catch 22
And everything you've been told about education and work begins to look more and more like a giant farce.
7. When you become so aware of your tongue and your body and all of a sudden forget how to exist as a normal human.
8. Then there are those interviews that have a million rounds.
9. Or the cruel invention that is the group interview.
10. Or worst of all, when the whole thing is just a phone interview.
11. Then when you reach the end, they always ask if you have any questions for them.
12. You exit hoping you looked smart and polished.
13. And then you play this healthy game where you replay the whole interview in your head.
14. And you wait to hear back...
You repeat this lovely process a million times and somehow manage to stay sane.
And then finally, FINALLY, it happens. The moment you've been waiting for. YOU'RE HIRED!!!
Contact Heben Nigatu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.