The 63-year-old woman planned to kill herself when she walked into the garden of her home in southeastern France with her dog, a male German Shepherd, on Wednesday. According to local police, the woman fired several test shots of a 22-calibre rifle to ensure that it was working before she turned the gun on her chest.
“At the moment she pulled the trigger, her dog jumped on her and diverted the shot,” a police officer told Le Figaro, adding that the animal “probably sensed things and knocked into her to save her.”
The woman was conscious and suffering from a chest wound when she was found by her husband. She was taken to the hospital, but her injuries are not considered to be life-threatening.
According to police, the dog appeared to be “deeply affected” by his human’s actions.
3. Here’s how we here at BuzzFeed feel about this story:
- Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill, but it took only 2 days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- A vandal allegedly smashed glass and threw a bible into a Colorado mosque on Sunday morning.
- Prime Minister Theresa May is starting the UK's withdrawal process from the European Union this week. But how will Brexit work?
- And Muslims in Birmingham told BuzzFeed News what it's like in the city that finds itself under the spotlight because of the murderous actions of London attacker Khalid Masood.