This is one of the printers at the Belgian company Materialise, the biggest 3D printing company in Europe. A technician operates a laser sintering machine that uses high-powered lasers to fuse particles of plastic, layer by layer, to create 3D objects.
This is the Materialise patented Mammoth stereolithography machine, which is capable of printing parts of up to 82x27x31 inches.
3D printing has already changed the game for manufacturing specialized products such as medical devices, Reuters reports, but the real revolution will come when designers start to rethink the shapes of objects. 3D printing removes the limitations of the manufacturing process from the equation, which means whatever can be designed on a computer can be turned into an object, specialists say.
1. This foldable chair/lounger, called the “KOL/MAC Root Chair.”
Chair designed by Sulan Kolatan and William MacDonald.
2. This dress.
A model wears a flexible printed dress from Iris van Herpen’s Escapism 2 collection, printed at Materialise using Laser Sintering, in this undated handout photo.
3. This customized mask for facial scar management, called the “Burn Mask.”
4. This dress too.
A model wears a flexible printed dress from Iris van Herpen’s Voltage collection, printed at Materialise using Laser Sintering, is seen in this undated handout photo.
5. This facial prothesis model (technical term is a “complex anaplastology case”).
6. This vase, called “The Hidd.”
Vase designed by Dan Yeffetlamp.
7. This table lamp, called the “Lotus.”
Lamp designed by Janne Kyttanen.
8. This shoe, called the “Melonia Shoe.”
Designed by Naim Josefi in collaboration with Souzan Youssouf.
9. This “3D object called the Quin.”
- From water jugs and dehydrated food, to faraday cages and unregistered vehicles, liberals are prepping for Trump's presidency.
- Federal agencies have put on a fireworks finale for the Obama administration, suing JP Morgan, Oracle, Fiat Chrysler, and Navient.
- Former Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue will be nominated as Trump's secretary of agriculture, the final cabinet position to be selected.
- Been wondering why your friends now look like weird glamorous cartoons? This Chinese selfie app is why. Say cheese 📸