1. They called out Fox News and MSNBC in the first five minutes.
“Within the first five minutes of air time, Al Jazeera America played very brief clips of Fox’s Bill O’Reilly and MSNBC’s Al Sharpton engaged in some of their most contentious onscreen moments followed by a voice saying, ‘news audiences know what is missing and they know what they want.’” — Matt Wilstein, Mediaite
2. Unlike their American cable news rivals, AJA unveiled a set that looked like it was imported from the future.
Free of ugly and distracting chyron clutter, AJA’s look made watching their debut a visually pleasing experience.
How great would this look on a 42-incher?!
3. CNN dedicated 50% less programming time to the day’s violence in Egypt than AJA did during the network’s first 8 hours on-the-air.
4. As AJA made its debut, it was airing ads during Fox News commercial breaks on one cable news provider. Ironically, one AJA ad aired right before Special Report’s Howard Kurtz segment about… Al Jazeera America!
- The judge who sentenced former Stanford swimmer Brock Turner for sexual assault will no longer hear criminal cases.
- Hillary Clinton came closer than ever to attacking Donald Trump's character and tied her opponent to the "alt-right" movement.
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 250 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.