Update 12/14/13: The New York Times confirmed late Friday that it has completed its acquisition of Boston Dynamics, the company behind the robots below.
2. This is Petman, DARPA’s already terrifying, walking robot. But it’s about to be replaced…
3. By this terrible machine-beast, Atlas. Atlas is 6 feet tall, has 28 hydraulic joints, articulated hands and feet, and an unflinching desire to see the machines rise again.
4. Here it is pretending to conduct a symphony…a symphony of human suffering.
5. This is what Atlas looks like as it chases you through the nightmarish halls of your mind.
6. Normally, we’d suggest you head to higher ground, but that’s no use…
7. Its gymnast-like balance means you can’t knock it over.
8. What about tripping it? Sure, go ahead and try to trip it. That should wor—Nope.
9. The machines are here.
10. Stay vigilant.
- The Obama administration, which has been notoriously secretive about its drone policy, said drone strikes have killed up to 116 civilians.
- Nearly 70,000 people convicted of felonies but now on probation or parole are suing Louisiana for the right to vote.
- Attorney General Loretta Lynch said she'll accept FBI recommendations in the investigation of Hillary Clinton's private email servers.