These days, due much in part to the meteoric rise of Emoji, good old-fashioned emoticons have taken a bit of a back seat as the dominant, image-driven method of expressing one’s mood online. But thanks to design agency, OKFocus the emoticon could find itself on the rebound. The site’s newest project, Newmoticon, is a unicode generator designed to spit out up to 500,000 new breeds of emoticon at the click of a mouse.
Even better, the site allows anyone to submit a name for their newly generated creatures, which range from the outrageous “pleased poop” to the tragic and brilliantly mundane “mustard smear in a business meeting.” They’re all available to copy and paste into any chat window or status update and the site already has a widget set up to tweet your favorite emoticons.
For the most part, NewEmoticons is pretty hit or miss. Some are brilliant, others unintelligible and for the Emoji faithful Newmoticon may feel like an flagrant attack, but at least now you have options, which is always a good thing.
3. Here are a few examples we found:
12. And finally, these guys. Watch out, poop emoji!
- Hillary Clinton returned to the public arena in one of her first political appearances since the election, urging Democrats to "keep fighting."
- The White House blocked several media ooutlets it's been critical of, including BuzzFeed, from a closed-door briefing by Press Secretary Sean Spicer.
- The White House strongly denies reports that Chief of Staff Reince Priebus urged the FBI to undermine stories linking Trump to Russia.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.