1. Judge Thokozile Matilda Masipa has ruled that the murder trial of Reeva Steenkamp will be adjourned until May 20, and has referred that Oscar Pistorius undergo psychiatric evaluation.
Psychiatrist Dr. Merryll Vorster revealed in court that Pistorius suffered from a general anxiety disorder and “hyper-vigilance,” which affects his fight or flight reaction. She said he “appears to be a mistrustful and guarded person,” and that he has experienced “escalating levels of anxiety” throughout his life.
2. During her ruling, Judge Masipa insisted that the aim of her referral was “not to punish the the accused twice. If there is the possibility of making him an outpatient is preferable.”
She also stated that: “The state counsel in my opinion was premature to call the application now, before hearing from the next witness, which may have had more information on the accused’s state.”
Court will be adjourned until Tuesday, May 20, with court resuming at 9 a.m. local time.
- At least 36 people have died in Friday's fire at a warehouse party in Oakland. Officials say they are no where close to finding a cause.
- Almost a month after the election, NC Gov. Pat McCrory has conceded defeat to Democrat Roy Cooper.
- Jill Stein has filed a federal lawsuit in Pennsylvania for statewide recount of the 2016 election, after she withdrew a request in state court.
- A woman clapped back at her anti-gay neighbor using festive rainbow Christmas lights 🎄👏