Sex can hurt for many reasons — both physiological and psychological — but here are some of the more common ones and how to deal with them.
1. An active vaginal infection.
2. Injuries or irritation to the vulva and vagina.
3. Vaginismus, which causes the vaginal muscles to tense up upon penetration.
4. A chronic pain condition like vulvodynia or vestibular vulvitis.
5. Abnormal anatomy.
6. Conditions like endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, or fibroids can cause deep pain.
7. Vaginal dryness caused by hormones, medication, or stress.
8. Not enough lube.
9. Lack of foreplay and stimulation.
10. Certain positions.
11. Lack of connection or relationship issues.
12. Psychological factors such as anxiety, fear, or self-esteem issues.
13. Ignoring the pain, which can make things worse. Listen to your body and see a doctor.
For all things health, check out the BuzzFeed Health page and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Caroline Kee is a health reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Caroline Kee at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.