What We Know So Far
- Police stormed the Lindt chocolate cafe in central Sydney after 17 people were held hostage at gunpoint for almost 17 hours.
- Three people died in the incident: the 50-year-old alleged gunman, Man Haron Monis; a 34-year-old man; and a 38-year-old woman.
- Two pregnant women and one police officer were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.
- At least six hostages escaped from the cafe before police stormed in.
- Police said the gunman, Man Haron Monis, has a long history with law enforcement authorities.
- One hostage was an employee of Infosys in India.
- Hostages were forced to stand in the windows and hold flags with messages reading "There is no God but Allah" and "Mohammed is the messenger of God."
- Several nearby office buildings, including the U.S. and India consulates, were evacuated.
New South Wales Police told BuzzFeed News that they have no record of a gun license for Monis.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott said in a news conference Wednesday that Man Haron Monis had a gun license, but there have been some speculation whether this is accurate.
Australia's Prime Minister said in a press conference Wednesday that the gunman had been on the Security Intelligence Organization's watch list in 2008 and 2009, but then had been removed for unknown reasons.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the gunman, Man Haron Monis, had been on the watch list for a series of offensive letters he'd sent to the families of deceased military soldiers.
"I don't know why he dropped off the watch list in those days, I really don't," Abbott said.
Abbott also said that Monis had a long criminal record, including murder and sexual assault offenses, and was currently on bail. Despite this, he was receiving welfare payments and had a gun license.
During the news conference, Abbott announced that federal and New South Wales officials would be conducting a review of how Monis evaded authorities.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has admitted the gunman, Man Haron Monis, was not on the Australian Federal Police’s “terror watch list”.
Abbott held a Tuesday afternoon press conference conceding that despite the "terror alert level" being set to "High" and the gunman being on bail, Mon Haron Monis wasn't on the AFP's list.
Even though Monis was "well known" to authorities, Abbott said he didn't "believe he was on a terror watch list at this time."
"There was nothing consistent about this individual's life, except that he was consistently weird," he added.
But Abbott — flanked by state and federal policing authorities — insisted that even if Monis had been on such a list, he might not have been picked up by authorities before Monday.
"Even if this individual had been monitored 24 hours a day, it's quite likely, certainly possible, that this incident could have taken place," he said.
Discussing the siege, the prime minister said: "This has been an absolutely appalling and ugly incident, that's the only way to describe it. Our hearts go out to the families of Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson. It's about as innocent a thing as anyone can do.
"To go and grab a morning coffee before the working day has truly started. Decent innocent people who got caught up in the sick fantasy of a deeply disturbed individual.
"The tragedy of these times is that there are people even in a society such as ours who wish to do us harm. We are not immune to the politically motivated violence which has for so long stalked other countries."
Abbott also played tribute to the New South Wales authorities' handling of the situation: "Everyone has been impressed by the speed of the NSW response, the thoroughness of the preparations they made and the professionalism of the action they took once it became obvious that people inside the cafe were being taken out by this deluded and sick individual.
"I think every Sydneysider can feel quietly proud of the way this city has handled one of the most difficult 36 hours in our history."
New South Wales Premier Mike Baird expressed anger that Monis had been granted bail: "We're all outraged that this was guy was on the street. I'm incredibly upset. I'm outraged!"
Premier Baird also announced he'd be willing to toughen bail laws pending a complete review and Prime Minister Abbott left the terror alert level set to "High".
A heartbroken Muslim woman from Sydney named Adila shared her feelings on local ABC radio on Tuesday morning in a call that is being widely shared online.
The family of Lindt Cafe manager Tori Johnson have released a statement to Ben Fordham of Channel 9 News.
NSW Police has released more information about those injured, including three women suffering gunshot wounds and two pregnant women who are now stable.
Police in New York City say they have "deployed resources" to possible targets after the Sydney siege, including the Australian consulate and Lindt shops in Manhattan.
New York police officers will also be sent to Sydney to learn from the tragedy.
The President of the NSW Bar Association Jane Needham has released a statement on the death of 38-year-old barrister Katrina Dawson.
It is with a heavy heart and deep sorrow that I must inform members of the New South Wales Bar Association that Katrina Dawson, of 8 Selborne Chambers, passed away in the early hours of this morning. Katrina, together with two other members of the NSW Bar, were held as hostages during the incident at the Lindt Café in Phillip Street, Sydney, yesterday.
Katrina was one of our best and brightest barristers who will be greatly missed by her colleagues and friends at the NSW Bar. She was a devoted mother of three children, and a valued member of her floor and of our bar community. Our thoughts are with her family at this time, including her brother, Sandy Dawson of Banco Chambers.
The two deceased hostages have been named as Katrina Dawson, a 38-year-old lawyer, and Tori Johnson, the 34-year-old manager of the Lindt cafe.
Sydney residents have been waking up to the grim news, gathering in Martin Place to mourn and comfort one another. View more photos here.
Media mogul Rupert Murdoch, whose News Corporation company owns Sydney's Daily Telegraph, has landed himself in controversy after a tweet that some have labelled "insensitive" following the siege.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott told a press conference in Canberra "there are lessons to be learned" from the Sydney cafe siege, while offering words of condolence to the families of the two hostages killed.
"What we do know is that the perpetrator was well known to State and Commonwealth authorities," Abbott said of the suspected gunman Man Haron Monis. "He had a long history of violent crime, infatuation with extremism, and mental instability."
The Prime Minister praised NSW police for their actions during the lengthy siege. "Australians should be reassured by the way our law enforcement and security agencies responded to this brush with terrorism," Abbott said.
Abbott said he intended to travel to Sydney from Canberra later on Tuesday, but extended his sympathy to the loved ones of those killed.
"There is nothing more Australian than dropping in at the local cafe for a morning coffee and it's tragic beyond words that people going about their everyday business should have been caught up in such a horrific incident," he said.
Manny Conditsis, the former lawyer for alleged gunman Man Haron Monis, described him as an "extreme ideologue" to ABC News.
"He had an incredible passion to fight governments and rally against them for sending Australian soldiers to fight what he would call unjust wars where innocent women and children are being killed," Conditsis told the broadcaster.
"That is what his passion was about or at least that is how he expressed his passion," the lawyer said. "He always said to me that he loved Australia and he loved Australian people but he hated the Government for what they were doing."
When asked whether his former client should have been out on bail after being charged with being an accessory to the murder of his ex-wife, Conditsis described the prosecution's case against Haron Monis as weak.
"With the benefit of reflection," Conditsis said, "one can say, 'Look what happened now, he should not have been at large.' Sure, that's an easy comment to make. But one has to be careful to look at the precise matters and facts that were put before the court at the point in time that bail was granted."
Conditsis said he was offended by "inappropriate" questions as to whether his "conscience was clear" for securing bail for Haron Monis.
Police activated an “emergency action plan” and stormed a besieged Sydney café in the middle of the night after “a number of gunshots” were fired in the store, the head of the New South Wales Police has said.
Two hostages, a 34-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman, were killed in the ensuing raid, as was the suspected 50-year-old gunman, who has been identified by police as Man Haron Monis.
Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione told a press conference that teams of officers made the decision to enter the café with volley of flash grenades in order to save hostages.
"They made the call because they believed at that time if they didn't enter there would have been many more lives lost," Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said.
A number of hostages managed to flee the café before the police went in at 2:10 a.m. local time.
For the first time, police also released a figure for the total number of people who were taken hostage in the Lindt Chocolate Café in Martin Place on Monday morning.
"We have accounted for, at this stage, 17 hostages," Scipione said. "That includes the five that escaped yesterday and a number that have been caught up with, some with traumatic injuries, some with medical conditions."
Scipione said the police have launched a detailed investigation into what he termed "a critical incident."
A somber-looking Mike Baird, the premier of New South Wales, said Sydney will not be cowed by the “horrendous, vicious attack.”
"Unbelievably overnight, we have lost some of our own in an attack we never thought we would see here in our city," Baird said. "In the past 24 hours, this city has been shaken, by a tragedy that none of us could have ever imagined."
"The values we held dear yesterday we hold dear today," he said. "They are the values of freedom, democracy, and harmony. These defined us yesterday, they will define us today, they will define us tomorrow."
Three people died, and four others were injured, as police stormed the Sydney cafe at 2:10 a.m. local time, NSW police have said.
The alleged gunman, Man Haron Monis, was among those killed during the shoot-out. He was pronounced dead after being taken to hostage, police said in a statement.
The two hostages killed were a 34-year-old male and a 38-year-old woman.
One woman was taken to hospital with a gunshot wound to her shoulder, while two other women were being treated for "non-life threatening injuries." A male police officer also suffered a "non-life threatening wound to his face from gunshot pellets."
The police statement does not detail how many people in total had been inside the café throughout the course of the stand-off.
Paramedics removed one person on a stretcher from the cafe, with bloodstains visible on the blankets.
A bomb-detecting robot was deployed by police in armored suits once officers stormed the cafe.
Bomb disposal experts were also seen inside the cafe.
Hostages are widely reported to have been taken to both Royal Prince Albert hospital and Royal North Shore hospital.
Here is footage from a video journalist with The Guardian showing ambulance officers wheeling people away from the cafe on stretchers.
A number of paramedics were seen rushing stretchers to the cafe, while a fire alarm could be heard blaring.
ABC News' live feed showed this hostage being carried out by police as authorities stormed the cafe:
At least one more hostage appears to have escaped from the cafe and be met by police.
An ABC journalist on the scene said "a loud bang" was heard:
A lawyer for Monis told the Australia Broadcasting Corporation that he was likely acting alone:
His former lawyer, Manny Conditsis, said Monis was an isolated figure who was acting alone.
"His ideology is just so strong and so powerful that it clouds his vision for common sense and objectiveness," he said.
The attacker has turned out the lights in the cafe, Sky News reported.
Witnesses described seeing the hostages looking "exhausted" and "absolutely petrified" - but as night fell and the siege entered its 12th hour the gunman turned off the lights, meaning people outside could no longer see in.
Prominent members of Sydney's Muslim community have released a joint statement following the siege:
Some Australians are offering to travel with people wearing religious attire by using the hashtag #IllRideWithYou.
New South Wales Premier Mike Baird and Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione have held a joint news conference together. Scipione said:
Can I start by saying our plan, our only goal tonight and for as long as this takes, is to get those people that are currently caught in that building, out of there safely. That remains our number one priority and nothing will change.