On Wednesday, the politically charged National World War II Memorial became a circus for media, politicians, and sadly, veterans.
The memorial, closed due to the government shutdown, became a political flashpoint when a handful of congressmen moved the barricades Tuesday afternoon to allow veterans access to the expansive granite monument. The scene reoccurred on Wednesday. Here are some of the most notable clashes at the memorial devoted to peace.
1. Congressman Bill Huizenga, R-MI, yells at a park ranger:
2. A protester yells at the congressmen:
And a member of the veterans group yells back:
3. Michele Bachmann declares:
6. A frustrated park ranger says:
And asks who is benefiting from this:
And tells BuzzFeed she is relieved to be on furlough after this:
7. And this veteran had some honest advice for leaders in D.C.:
- Hillary Clinton made her debut with VP pick Tim Kaine, who dipped into Spanish and spoke on support for immigration reform and gun control.
- The gunman who killed at least 10 people at a Munich, Germany mall on Friday was an 18-year-old "obsessed" with mass shootings, police said.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a bombing that killed at least 80 people in Afghanistan Saturday.