We sent 10 uncaptioned photos of very Chinese things, phenomena, and traditions to BuzzFeed offices in New York, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, London, Toronto, Russia, Spain, Mumbai, and Australia, and asked them to write down the first thing that came into their heads. Twenty-five people replied with over-the-top answers:
1. What do you think is happening here?
2. What do you think this delicate Chinese porcelain is used for?
3. What's going on in this picture?
4. What do you think this Chinese character means?
5. Why is this woman in every Chinese house?
6. What do you think this building is?
7. Why do you think so many excavators are working?
8. What do you think is happening here?
9. What do you think this little girl is doing?
10. And last but not least, this is one of the most popular cartoons in China — what do you think it's about?
Beimeng Fu is a BuzzFeed News World Reporter covering China and is based in New York.
Contact Beimeng Fu at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.