1. Obama called the tour a “very powerful moment,” according to a White House pool report. He said the visit helped him “fully appreciate the magnitude of the slave trade” and “get a sense in an intimate way” of the hardships slaves faced.
2. “Obviously, for an African-American, an African-American president, to be able to visit this site, I think, gives me even greater motivation in terms of human rights around the world,” the president said.
3. Obama said the trip was a reminder that “we have to remain vigilant when it comes to the defense of human rights.” He added “this is a testament to when we’re not vigilant in defense of human rights what can happen.”
- DNC Day 2: Bill Clinton took the crowd down memory lane, and then Hillary broke through a virtual glass ceiling 💥
- An Australian teen who was subjected to detention abuse has written a letter thanking the public for its support.
- 🍎📉: Apple's business is declining due to slowing iPhone sales, but the company is still making a ton of money.