1. Obama called the tour a “very powerful moment,” according to a White House pool report. He said the visit helped him “fully appreciate the magnitude of the slave trade” and “get a sense in an intimate way” of the hardships slaves faced.
2. “Obviously, for an African-American, an African-American president, to be able to visit this site, I think, gives me even greater motivation in terms of human rights around the world,” the president said.
3. Obama said the trip was a reminder that “we have to remain vigilant when it comes to the defense of human rights.” He added “this is a testament to when we’re not vigilant in defense of human rights what can happen.”
- The Women's March on Washington was one of the largest protests in the city's history.
- Trump's spokesman held a press conference to blame grass coverings for "minimizing" the crowd at the inauguration 🤔
- Members of the national security community reacted with shock after Trump attacked his critics while giving a speech at CIA headquarters.
- "SNL" featured a shirtless Vladimir Putin celebrating America's newest President.