1. Obama called the tour a “very powerful moment,” according to a White House pool report. He said the visit helped him “fully appreciate the magnitude of the slave trade” and “get a sense in an intimate way” of the hardships slaves faced.
2. “Obviously, for an African-American, an African-American president, to be able to visit this site, I think, gives me even greater motivation in terms of human rights around the world,” the president said.
3. Obama said the trip was a reminder that “we have to remain vigilant when it comes to the defense of human rights.” He added “this is a testament to when we’re not vigilant in defense of human rights what can happen.”
- DNC Day 1 is done: Bernie Sanders said Hillary Clinton "must become the next president," and Michelle Obama brought down the house 🏠 🇺🇸
- At least 19 people died and 20 others were injured in a knife attack at a facility for the disabled near Tokyo, Japan.
- The Solar Impulse 2 completed the first round-the-world solar-powered flight after landing in Abu Dhabi ☀️