Greg Brannon is a doctor and former tea party activist running for Senate in North Carolina. Brannon, who is most likely headed for a Republican Senate primary run with North Carolina state House Speaker Thom Tillis, led incumbent Democratic Sen. Kay Hagan 42-40 in an April Public Policy Polling poll.
Brannon, who previously led an organization called Founder’s Truth, has a history of making controversial statements on the radio.
He previously called U.S. property taxes “American central planning” and cited the Holocaust and Soviet Union as other examples of central planning.
Founder’s Truth’s now-shuttered website often posted conspiracy theories with blog posts that made claims like the Boston Marathon bombing was a false flag, the TSA might use electric shock bracelets, and that there is fluoridate in the water supply.
After BuzzFeed reported on Brannon’s website, it was removed from the Web Archive under mysterious conditions. The Web Archive would not comment if Brannon’s campaign asked for the site to be taken it down.
Reviewing hours of The Bill LuMaye Show, a radio program Brannon went on weekly as a guest since 2010, BuzzFeed has found other controversial audio statements from his tenure as a tea party activist.
1. Brannon doesn’t believe in public schools. He says “democracy means minorities get crushed” and the U.S. is a Marxist country, and said definitively, “I wouldn’t have public schools.”
2. Brannon says Obama wants a socialist dictatorship police state:
“He believes in a socialist government. He plays class warfare. Dictatorship is what he’s trying to do with the way which how much faster he’s pushing forward with this police state aspect of the NDAA, you know, of the Supreme Court cases of Obamacare.”
3. Brannon says it “would be much better” if we had state militias instead of a U.S. Army.
4. Brannon believes the Second Amendment extends to owning a nuclear weapon, citing the needs of local militias.
5. Brannon says the current political system is comparable to Nazism.
“That’s collectivism, guys. I know when people use the word ‘socialism.’ Ya know, what’s Nazis? ‘National Socialist Party.’ Government and private business merged together eliminate competition and dictate our lives. These words mean something. We must fight for liberty, we have to.”
6. Brannon believes the U.S. has turned into a Marxist country: “Please read Karl Marx’s Communist Manifesto, his 10 planks of a socialist government. All 20 of them are law in our land today.”
7. Brannon thinks states can nullify laws.
8. Brannon thinks abortion is comparable to slavery or the Holocaust.
“I love talking about slavery because I’m a pro-life OB-GYN as well. Any time in history when you look at three major things, when any time a human being was called anything other than a human being, we have atrocities. When we call people of darker pigment skin property, we had slavery, abomination. We had Hitler call people of Jewish heritage sub-humans — Holocaust. We have a baby in the womb called a fetus or a tissue, we have that holocaust occurring.”
9. Brannon believes the Supreme Court “has zero power of enforcement” and is only good for making opinions “and that’s all it’s for.”
10. Brannon says property taxes make us “indentured servants” to the government and are comparable to the Communist Manifesto.
11. Brannon says Agenda 21 is conspiracy to control property rights. Brannon says “maybe” the Articles of Confederation are better than the Constitution and that the U.S. is “not a democracy.”
12. Brannon says Obama is a fascist, looking to China as an example. Obama wants “us to be a merger of government and big business … it’s called fascism … President Obama is not a socialist.”
13. Brannon doesn’t believe in required schooling or “forced education.” He says Upton Sinclair’s famous book The Jungle on working conditions was “pure fiction” and “propaganda,” adding it was used “to get government hands” into regulation.
- An earthquake that struck central Italy Wednesday has killed at least 73 people, officials say. 150 people are still missing.
- Turkish forces have launched an offensive to help Syrian rebels take the border town of Jarabulus from ISIS and keep it out of Kurdish hands.
- And Donald Trump has often claimed to be "the largest real estate developer in New York." He isn't.