1. Updated — Nov. 11, 1:55 a.m. ET: In Vietnam 13 people have been killed, according to the Voice of Vietnam, the country’s national radio broadcaster.
Vietnamese state media say that at least 131 people had died, although the deaths appeared to have taken place before the storm made landfall as preparations were taking place. The storm was downgraded after making landfall and is currently striking China’s border provinces.
2. Updated — Nov. 10, 4:14 p.m. ET: Typhoon Haiyan made landfall in Vietnam’s Quang Ninh Province, with sustained winds of 75 mph and gusts of 93 mph.
3. Updated — Nov. 10, 12:40 p.m. ET
On Sunday, Vietnam’s central coast was spared from Typhoon Haiyan’s deadly force after the storm’s expected trajectory changed and headed north, and remained about 100 miles off the coast, USA Today reports
As of Sunday morning, Haiyan was the equivalent of a Category 1 hurricane. Winds were of 92 mph and weakening, according to Weather Channel meteorologist Michael Palmer.
“The typhoon should make landfall in northern Vietnam by early Monday and may actually weaken to a tropical storm before landfall,” he said.
4. In anticipation of Super Typhoon Haiyan, which devastated the Philippines and killed at least 1,200, Vietnam is working to prepare for the worst.
On Saturday, the Associated Press reported that in the typhoon-ravaged Tacloban city in the central Philippines, the death toll could reach 10,000 people.
11. To prepare, people are packing bags of sand to hold down their roofs and protect their houses.
15. Authorities in 15 provinces have called back boats to prepare for possible landslides.
Red Cross staff help families anchor their boats in Son Tra district, Da Nang, ahead of Typhoon Haiyan’s expected landfall.
17. The storm is expected to hit costal areas tomorrow morning.
- Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill but it took only 2 days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- The Trump administration is silent hours after Russia arrested hundreds of people protesting corruption under Putin.
- United Airlines stopped 3 girls from flying because they were wearing leggings, and said the rule only applies to travelers on "company benefit travel."
- 'Orange Is The New Black' actor Samira Wiley and writer Lauren Morelli officially tied the knot in Palm Springs 🌴