When Renisha McBride, 19, crashed her car in the middle of the night in the Detroit suburb of Dearborn Heights, her phone was dead, her family says. So she went to the nearest home in and knocked on the door.
It was the last thing she did.
The person who answered the door shot McBride in the head, The Detroit News reported. Police confirmed that she died moments later on the suspect’s front porch. The wound was to the back of the head, leading investigators to believe she was leaving the porch when the shot was fired.
McBride’s aunt Bernita Spinks believes it was a case of racial profiling.
“He shot her in the head … for what? For knocking on his door… If he felt scared or threatened, he should have called 911.” Spinks said on Tuesday.
3. This is the porch where McBride was shot and killed.
The Dearborn Heights Police Department released a statement on the shooting that said they had identified the person who fired the shot and killed McBride. The statement added that a final report will be forwarded to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office for review in the near future. The race of the shooter has not yet been released.
There will be a services for McBride at 11 a.m. Friday at House of Prayer and Praise, 16520 Wyoming in Detroit, according to The Detroit News.
5. “You see a young black lady on your porch and you shoot? He killed my niece and he needs to pay for it. He needs to be in jail.”
6. “He’s in Dearborn Heights — the police would have been there in 2 or 3 minutes,” said Spinks. “He didn’t have to kill her.”
7. “He killed her and he’s out of jail? Wow.” Spinks told Fox 2. “If somebody knocked on my door and I pulled my shotgun out and shot them as they were walking away instead of asking what was the problem?(sic) Would I be here? No. I’d be in jail.”
8. Others have begun to speak out about the case as well.
Why was this lady shot in the back of the head as she was leaving a porch asking for help after an accident?! #RenishaMcBride
Renisha McBride suffered same fate as Jonathan Farrell for knocking on a homeowner’s door, only she was shot by homeowner instead of cops.
#TrayvonMartin, #JonathanFerrell, now #RenishaMcBride. —-> http://t.co/GfOzXSm7RK
I do hope for justice in this case. whatever the facts eventually turn out to be. #RenishaMcBride
Claudia S. Williams
RIP Renisha McBride. In the words of my s/o “Can we now talk abut saving our daughters along with our sons?”
another young black person was shot and killed after getting in a car accident and looking for help. RIP to 19 yr old Renisha McBride.
- Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán has been extradited to the United States to face multiple charges.
- The turnout at Trump's inaugural concert was much smaller compared to the crowd that showed up for Obama's 2009 celebration.
- Donald Trump's pick for treasury secretary, Steve Mnuchin, was grilled by Democrats over his time leading a mortgage company that carried out over 36,000 foreclosures.
- A majority of American adults get news from Facebook, according to a new survey by BuzzFeed, but only 18% of respondents said they trusted news from Facebook. ✋ 📰