2. Durkin, an economics major and a linebacker on the college football team, went missing Wednesday after he went to Sloppy Sam’s bar in the Campo de Fiori section of Rome and never returned.
According to the Bangor Daily News, he left the bar alone around 1:30 a.m. on Thursday morning.
3. Durkin was found dead inside a railroad tunnel in central Rome days later, Italian police told CNN on Saturday.
He is thought to have been hit by a train early Thursday morning, CBS reports. Police said someone aboard a passing train spotted Durkin’s body in a tunnel under a large park near the Vatican and the Trastevere neighborhood.
4. “This is a heartbreaking moment for our community and for so many people who knew and loved John. We are profoundly sad and share the tremendous grief of his family,” Bates College said in a statement released Saturday.
Although he was a Bates Student, the study abroad program was sponsored by Trinity College in Hartford, Conn.
The President of Trinity College also released a statement in which he expressed his “deepest sympathies” on behalf of the entire Trinity community.
7. Italian investigators are looking into his death.
Correction: This article previously stated that Trinity College was located in New Haven, Conn. It is actually located in Hartford, Conn.
- Donald Trump slammed the CIA after reports that the agency believes Russia used hacks to try to help him win.
- Rudy Giuliani is no longer being considered for a position in the Trump administration. Trump says the former NYC mayor withdrew his name.
- Fire investigators have ruled out a refrigerator as the cause of a warehouse fire that killed 36 people in Oakland, California.
- The world's oldest known breeding seabird just laid another egg. Her name is Wisdom and she's 66 🐦