This is Detective Lori Morgan, a forensics expert with the Iberville Parish Sheriff’s Office in Louisiana.
1. Forensic science isn't really like anything you see in the movies.
2. The forensics expert in a police department serves as a liaison between the officers and the crime lab. They go to all the big burglaries and homicides to make sure everything is done right.
3. You have to remove emotion from the equation when looking at a horrific scene, according to Morgan.
4. And you have to be really aware of everything that is going on at a crime scene, too.
5. Forensic technology has improved remarkably in the last decade, and that has opened up a lot of doors for investigators.
6. But old-school techniques like fingerprints are still very much part of the game.
7. And finally, after the investigation is done, testifying can be a pretty stressful experience, too.
Killing Fields premieres Tuesday, Jan. 5 at 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on Discovery.
Science Writer, Fossil Beastmaster
Contact Alex Kasprak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.