2. He said his policymaking would be determined by a “long-term outlook.”
3. He said this was possible because his election had taken place “in the framework of a democratic system.”
He said he would make use of foreign policy to achieve economic development. He added that the financial crisis showed “economies are not enough,” citing “culture, spirituality, and ethics” as important models for governments. For Rouhani, “The major problem with despotic leaders is their distance from their people.”
4. He strongly declared nuclear weapons had no place in his strategy of governance.
Rouhani shakes hands with Klaus Schwab (left) founder and executive chairman of the World Economic Forum (WEF).
5. Rouhani also talked about the importance of energy security.
He has addressed executives as Iran steps up efforts to win back investments from oil companies as part of its rapprochement with the West.
7. He said:
Syria has been engulfed in a major travesty and the people have born the brunt. In this cold weather this only adds to the misery. We are very concerned with the presence of terrorists. They are ruthless killers. Iran believes all of us should try to stop the bloodshed and work to push terrorists out of Syria. Later we have to pave the way for opposition and government to sit at the table.
- One of the nation's top legal groups is seeking a wide array of records from four federal agencies to challenge Trump's potential business conflicts.
- Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán has been extradited to the United States to face multiple charges.
- The turnout at Trump's inaugural concert was much smaller compared to the crowd that showed up for Obama's 2009 celebration.
- Gingers rejoice! A redhead emoji may be coming your way soon 🙌