1. Photographer Henry Hargreaves tells BuzzFeed: "Ernest Hemingway was celebrated in life as a great writer, lover, sportsman, adventurer, and rebel-rouser."
3. "What is less well known is that he was also a renowned cat lover."
5. "He was given a six-toed cat, Snowball, by a ship's captain who came to visit him in Key West."
7. "Soon Snowball had a litter of polydactyl-gene-carrying cats, who Hemingway named after famous people of his time."
9. "Just as the Hemingway legend continues to grow after his death, so does the celebrity-named, six-toed, 55-cat colony at his home-turned-museum."
11. "I was intrigued by the story of a softer side to Hemingway and gained permission for a companion shoot."
13. "I decided to use a contrived portrait setting befitting their genetic and celebrity heritage."
15. "Like their famous namesakes, some of the cats lapped up the attention while others fled from the set like they were being chased by paparazzi."
16. Here's Henry with Winston Churchill.
Watch his making-of video here.
Alan White is a news editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Alan White at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.