Trayvon Martin’s father, Tracy gives opening remarks at the inaugural Congressional Caucus on Black Men and Boys
Trayvon Martin’s father, Tracy Martin spoke to the first ever meeting of the Congressional Caucus on Black Men and Boys, about his slain son and his steadfast refusal to let his legacy be a negative one.
Trayvon’s Martin father says TM Foundation will advocate against senseless crime & gun violence, mentor boys & educate about Florida laws.
5. He spoke of the negativity since the verdict:
Kat 4 Obama
Tracy Martin, Trayvon’s father: To have his name slandered, as a father my message is: We won’t let this verdict sum up who Trayvon was.
6. Martin said, “the greatest gift a woman can give to a man is a son.”
NOW: Trayvon Martin’s father, Tracy, to Congressional Black Caucus: “I always said that Trayvon was my hero, he saved my life.”
7. Martin family lawyer Benjamin Crump talked the “Trayvon Martin Act” being added as an amendment to Florida’s controversial Stand Your Ground law.
He said while lawmakers should discuss the details, the idea would be that if you have a gun and you are the initiator of a confrontation, you can not use a Stand Your Ground defense.
8. Martin said it hurt him deeply not to be there for his son in his time of need and to be able to save his life.
He said the conversation sparked in households and at the dinner table now is, “What can we do as parents, what can we do as men, what can we do as fathers, what can we do as mentors to stop this from happening to your child. I think that’s where the conversation begins.”
9. “A lot of people will tell you that nothing positive can come out of death,” he said. “I disagree. I disagree, wholeheartedly.”
- French authorities have begun moving thousands of migrants and refugees from the makeshift "Jungle" camp in Calais.
- Trump supporters haranguing the press at rallies has become routine. Now, the alt-right has adopted an old Nazi term to describe reporters.
- Jay Z is holding a concert for Clinton in Ohio aimed at mobilizing a group she's struggled to excite: black voters. 🎤
- Girl Scout cookies for breakfast: General Mills says a cereal will be released in January 😋