2. He previously said he was not worried about his personal contribution to bloodshed. “I sleep well. It’s the politicians who are to blame for failing to come to an agreement and resorting to violence.”
5. Kalashnikov set out to make the AK-47 after he was injured in the 1941 battle of Bryansk against Nazi forces, when a shell hit his tank. He brooded about the superior automatic rifles he’d seen the Nazis deploy and five years later his gun was born.
“Blame the Nazi Germans for making me become a gun designer,” he said, according to the AP. “I always wanted to construct agricultural machinery.”
6. Kalashnikov was admitted to the hospital with internal bleeding in November and died on Monday in Izhevsk, Udmurtia, where he lived.
- Arkansas has carried out the first double execution since 2000. The state had scheduled 8 executions before a key drug expires.
- "Stealthing," or purposefully removing a condom during sex without consent, has become a new trend — victims say it is another form of assault.
- The same Russian hackers who interfered in the 2016 US presidential election are now active in German and French politics 💻
- A popular app changed the name of a filter after people complained it whitewashes them. The filter still lightens your skin though 🤔