1. UPDATE — Nov. 12, 1 a.m. ET: A medical examiner ruled Renisha McBride’s death a homicide Monday.
An autopsy report determined McBride was shot in the face with “no evidence of close range discharge,” according to a report released by the Wayne County Medical Examiner.
2. Police say Renisha McBride had been in a car accident hours before knocking on the door of a home in Dearborn Heights, Michigan. She was shot and killed with a shotgun.
4. “This man’s claiming – believed the girl was breaking into the home. And he’s also saying the gun discharged accidentally,” Lt. James Serwatowski, chief detective, said Thursday to the Detroit Free Press.
5. He also disputed comments from McBride’s family saying she was shot in the back of the head.
The family said she had gone to the house seeking help after being involved in a car accident several blocks away. “This girl was not shot in the back of the head while leaving the porch,” Serwatowski said. “I don’t know where the family is getting this. She was shot in the front of the face, near the mouth.”
6. New comments by police sought to clarify some of the timeline of the night and open up the question of what happened during unaccounted hours between the accident and the shooting.
“I’ll confirm that she was in an accident in Detroit and that she left the accident scene, and then some hours transpired” before the shooting, Serwatowski said. He did not elaborate on what police believe she was doing before and after the accident.
7. Following the high-profile George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case, and coming two months after Jonathan Ferrell, who was killed by police after being in a car accident, anger and outrage has been swift online.
She was unarmed. She posed NO threat. Her killer was in NO danger. He was NOT defending himself. He did NOT shoot to disable her. DONE.
Hereâ€™s a question for the homeowner: If you accidentally shot #RenishaMcBride in the face, why didnâ€™t you call 911 after?
Jane Doe, MD
Black folks are expected to be responsible for making themselves nonthreatening to white people & cops, lest they be killed. #RenishaMcBride
Racism and a gun are what killed #RenishaMcBride - we need to address both ASAP. No more senseless deaths. Enough is enough.
11. This is the porch where McBride was killed.
12. Rallies were scheduled for Thursday evening.
DETROIT! Join @dreamhampton & community leaders to demand answers in #RenishaMcBride’s death 2NITE @6PM details >>> http://t.co/4wJmNE2R7I
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren went full "nasty" on Trump, saying "nasty women" are going to cast their "nasty votes" on Nov. 8 🙋
- French authorities have begun moving thousands of migrants and refugees from the makeshift "Jungle" camp in Calais.
- "She's not responsible for the journalism mistakes": Why Jackie won't be outed in the Rolling Stone trial.
- These parents came up with maybe the best dirty Halloween couple's costume ever. Parents ftw 😂👏