3. “Mr. Alexis entered building 197 with a shotgun, we do not have any information that he had an AR-15 in his possession,” said an FBI spokesperson. “We believe he may have gained access to a handgun.”
Law enforcement officials were quoted on Monday as saying that Alexis had an AR-15 along with a shotgun and a semi-automatic pistol.
4. Alexis had legitimate access as a contractor and had a valid pass to gain entry into the building.
5. The FBI would not comment on Alexis’ motivation or reports of psychological issues in the past. The investigation into his motivation for the shooting is ongoing across cities where he previously lived, including Fort Worth, Texas, and New York City.
Officers were lauded for their quick response time. They were on the scene two minutes after an initial 911 call and were engaging the shooter after entering building 197 in seven minutes. It took more than 30 minutes for Alexis to be neutralized, the FBI said.
6. An officer who was hospitalized Monday is said to have “pretty serious” injuries but is “doing well and is in good spirits” and expected to make a full recovery.
7. “Those that have fallen are our colleagues and our shipmates,” said Michael Monroe, special agent in charge of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, calling the aftermath of the shooting “a model response” by law enforcement agencies.
A lone bouquet of flowers is left at the base of a statue at the Navy Memorial in Washington to honor the victims of the attack at the Navy Yard.
- Republicans presented Democrats on Tuesday with a spending plan that doesn't include funding for the border wall, stalling one of Trump's most controversial campaign promises.
- Fox News anchor Kelly Wright and 12 other current and former employees are suing the network for racial discrimination and harassment.
- The humanitarian crisis in Venezuela is so bad that people are walking over to Brazil to get the food and medicines they need.
- A 5-year-old girl cosplayed Jyn Erso so she could deliver the Death Star plans to Princess Leia 🙏