1. Melissa Mark-Viverito, a Puerto Rican liberal from Harlem, was named city council speaker Wednesday, becoming the first Hispanic to hold the position.
2. There had been drama and suspense over whether Mark-Viverito would easily ascend to the second-most powerful position in the city, or would face a bitter fight, but it was seemingly squashed when her opponent Dan Garodnick conceded and embraced her.
It was a colorful campaign, with one of Mark-Viverito’s rivals in the Democratic primary suing her for an alleged Santeria curse involving a mural of a chicken.
4. The new speaker, who founded the New York City progressive caucus, is a darling of Latino officials and organizations in the city, who are excited by her historic election.
Congratulations Melissa Mark-Viverito! Elected as first #Latino #NYC Council Speaker! @MMViverito #latism
Congratulations to our new speaker the honorable @melissamarkviverito #herstory http://t.co/dQam7PKbuK
Mark-Viverito Is Elected City Council Speaker http://t.co/Ut4NKoz5lz @MMViverito Congratulations!! Very Proud of Melissa
Congratulations to Melissa Mark-Viverito! Mark-Viverito Is Elected City Council Speaker- NYC http://t.co/y3pLeWu6xn @Latism_NYC
!Que vivan las mujeres! RT Mark-Viverito Is Elected City Council Speaker http://t.co/YjzNoS3wgZ
10. While de Blasio and Mark-Viverito agree when it comes to income inequality and empowering unions, they have their differences.
De Blasio has spoken against a bill in the Council to legalize non-citizen voting, a measure Mark-Viverito — an outspoken advocate for immigrants’ rights — co-sponsored, according to Capital New York.
De Blasio has also called for an end to the Council’s “member items,” discretionary funds allocated to individual members for nonprofits in their districts. He said they are an invitation to fraud, but the new speaker has said she favors amending the process to give lower-income districts more money.
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- At least 40 Democrats are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- Spencer's is getting flooded with criticism for selling "Grab America By The Pussy" shirts, which many are saying normalizes sexual assault.