1. Gabriel García Márquez, the celebrated author of One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera, has died, El País reports. He was 87 years old.
2. Marquez had been recovering at home in Mexico City after a week-long hospitalization for a pneumonia.
3. Marquez won a Nobel Prize in 1982 “for his novels and short stories, in which the fantastic and the realistic are combined in a richly composed world of imagination, reflecting a continent’s life and conflicts.”
5. Many took to Twitter to share their favorite lines from his works in English and Spanish.
- DNC Day 1 is done: Bernie Sanders said Hillary Clinton "must become the next president," and Michelle Obama brought down the house 🏠🇺🇸
- Three Qaddafi henchmen who are wanted for embezzling millions from Libya have been found living comfortably in Britain.
- The Solar Impulse 2 completed the first round-the-world solar-powered flight after landing in Abu Dhabi ☀️