Immigration activists from the Arizona Dream Act Coalition were holding a vigil outside a Phoenix immigrant detention center when a bus filled with immigrants tried to leave the facility.
1. The “dreamers,” undocumented youth brought to the country as children, and their mothers, ran toward the bus.
“It was weird, all of the families and moms everybody started running to get in front of the bus,” high-profile dreamer Erika Andiola, who was at the vigil, told BuzzFeed.
8. An immigrant woman inside prayed as she cried.
9. A man inside raised his arms to show his chains.
Andiola, whose mom was nearly deported earlier this year before receiving prosecutorial discretion, couldn’t believe what she was seeing. “Seeing us chanting they started raising their arms and legs to show us their chains. My mom told me they chained her too but I didn’t think they were such big chains.”
I think it underscores the fact that Congress has got to do something. The Senate has passed a strong bipartisan bill and the house is sitting on its hands and doing nothing. The August recess has shown the support for immigration reform is very strong. This incident shows the frustration out there.
- The White House continued to defend rolling back Obama-era transgender protections, with Sean Spicer repeatedly insisting it's a "states' rights issue."
- Recreational marijuana needs "greater enforcement" of federal law, said Spicer, pitting the White House against eight states that legalized recreational use.
- Beyoncé has pulled out of performing at the Coachella festival, citing doctors' advice about keeping a less rigorous schedule while she's pregnant 🐝😭
- Indiana police released chilling audio in the case two teens found dead in the woods — a voice captured on one of their phones saying "down the hill."