1. At the opening of a new exhibit at Seattle’s EMP Museum called “Spectacle: The Music Video” on Friday, audience members were treated to a surprise performance by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, who have outfits included in the exhibit.
2. During the set, Macklemore wore a costume that included a large prosthetic nose and fake beard.
3. Which some are arguing was simply a hodgepodge of offensive Jewish stereotypes.
4. Many fans seemed to enjoy the set and didn’t comment on Macklemore’s choice of attire.
5. But once photos surfaced from the performance, others turned to social media to question the outfit choice.
9. While others have noted the relative lack of reaction to the costume from the audience members at the performance.
10. Macklemore says he is not Jewish.
11. UPDATE, May 19, 9:30 a.m. ET: Macklemore has addressed the controversy via tweet, denying the stereotype accusation.
12. UPDATE, May 20, 10:20 a.m. ET:
Macklemore has posted an extended statement on his blog addressing the controversy, stating, “I acknowledge how the costume could, within a context of stereotyping, be ascribed to a Jewish caricature. I am here to say that it was absolutely not my intention, and unfortunately at the time I did not foresee the costume to be viewed in such regard.”
Read the full statement here.
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- At least 40 Democrats are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- Spencer's Gifts is getting flooded with criticism for selling "Grab America By The Pussy" shirts, which many say normalizes sexual assault.