The Port Authority is responsible for the killing of 20,000 animals over two years, including threatened and endangered species, the New York Post reports.
According to Goose Watch NYC founder David Karopkin, “[The Port Authority] take a kill-first approach” and that there’s “no incentive to take a long-term look at this issue. Killing is a way for them to pat themselves on the shoulder and say they’re protecting people.”
The issue of wildlife management gained a higher profile after the 2009 crash landing of a US Airways flight on the Hudson River, piloted by Capt. Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger, was caused by Canada geese stalling the engine.
Port Authority representative Ron Marisco said the agency kills animals that “pose immediate threats to aviation safety and do not respond to nonlethal harassment” and also claimed that 95% of wildlife control is non-lethal.
Here are some statistics on the animals the Port Authority killed in the past two years:
2. 3 American kestrels (marked as “threatened” by the report.)
3. 1 northern harrier (labeled as “endangered” by the report.)
4. 5,729 laughing gulls.
5. 3,203 European starlings.
6. 2,445 herring gulls.
7. 1,908 mourning doves.
8. 1,070 brown-headed cowbirds.
9. 997 Canada geese.
10. 82 eastern cottontail rabbits.
11. 62 woodchucks.
12. 44 muskrats.
13. 11 white-tailed deer.
14. 11 coyotes.
16. 4 red foxes.
18. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals representative Martin Mercereau stated:
The Port Authority is trigger happy. Killing these animals demonstrates sidestepping of humane methods and mindless reliance on lethal force. Either they’re lying or not trying hard enough. Tax dollars are just paying for an endless killing cycle. When wildlife is killed, more animals move in for available resources. Effective wildlife management is based on a simple rule: get rid of the food, make the environment unattractive, and the animals will move on. Non-lethal works and is long-term effective.
19. You can read the whole list here.
- Donald Trump just announced he will "totally accept" the election results….if he wins.
- People are really pissed over this "Grab Her By The Brain" campaign based on Donald Trump's comments about women.
- Think before you trust Facebook: Hyperpartisan pages are posting false or misleading information up to 38% of the time 💻⁉️
- This guy casually sat in a flooding Starbucks during intense storms in Hong Kong and became the internet's newest hero.