1. You get an excuse to buy a completely new wardrobe.
New year, new clothes. It’s traditional!
2. Because red packets are Christmas presents without the BS.
Cold, hard cash. None of this “thanks for the lovely socks, Auntie Annabelle” malarkey.
3. Think a three-course meal is fancy?
Chinese New Year dinner be like “10 courses or GTFO”.
6. Every Chinese New Year dish symbolises good luck. So you’re obliged to eat all of it.
Noodles = long life. Fish = prosperity. My food baby = bigger than ever.
7. Does your favourite holiday include guys who dress up as dancing lions?
8. And if you really want to know what hell feels like, you can always go to Chinatown.
Scarier than Halloween and twice as crowded.
10. FYI: Nin gou is a million times better than Christmas pudding.
Looks gross, tastes like deep-fried glutinous heaven.
11. And cherry blossoms are the classy Chinese version of a Christmas tree.
12. When you’re sick of all the food, you can detox with some healthy fruit.
Oranges. So many oranges.
14. Chinese New Year is the only holiday that actively encourages you to light explosives.
Firecrackers: 10 times more fun than Bonfire Night (and 10 times as dangerous).
15. You also get to celebrate the start of a whole new zodiac year.
It’s the Year of the Goat, FYI.