1. You Can Sweat It Out
This is one of the oldest myths in the book. Our moms have all had us do it: covering up with extra blankets, sticking our head over a bowl of hot water – all in the hopes that we will sweat the cold out. It simply does not work.
2. Don’t Drink Milk
I always remember my mom saying “milk equals mucous.” In actuality, milk does not cause a build up of mucous at all – you can drink as much of it as you like and it will have no effect on your cold.
3. Starve Your Fever
Even the phrase, “starve a fever” is archaic. This is a complete myth. Eating healthily when you are sick will only help you recover faster. Good soup is, in fact, good for the soul, and good for your fever. Myth busted!
4. Vitamin C Overdose!
This is one of mom’s favorite myths and is still considered to be the gold standard among young people. While you can’t go wrong by taking vitamin and mineral supplements, don’t expect for them to be a miracle cure. The only thing that cures a cold is time, time, time.
5. The Best Remedy is Alcohol
Mom may not have recommended this one but it is still a favorite belief among most men. Unfortunately, your virus is not “afraid” of vodka.
No Myth: Zicam helps you get rid of your cold faster
If you have to endure a cold at least you can have some relief. There is no reason to deal with the misery every moment: the stuffy nose, the sleepless nights, and the congestion. Although Zicam will not cure your cold, you’ll be able to sail right through it.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Republicans presented Democrats on Tuesday with a spending plan that doesn't include funding for the border wall, stalling one of Trump's most controversial campaign promises.
- Fox News anchor Kelly Wright and 12 other current and former employees are suing the network for racial discrimination and harassment.
- The humanitarian crisis in Venezuela is so bad that people are walking over to Brazil to get the food and medicines they need.
- A 5-year-old girl cosplayed Jyn Erso so she could deliver the Death Star plans to Princess Leia 🙏
Report an Issue
Drag to highlight one or more parts of the screen.
We got your feedback, and we'll follow up with you at