1. If there's one country that knows how to perfectly marry strange and wonderful, it's Singapore.
2. So what's wonderful? Well, first, the food.
Singapore lives up to its reputation of being one of the most delicious places to visit on earth.
3. (Sometimes the food is strange too.)
4. There's fascinating culture to learn about.
Seen here is a spectacular procession of pierced devotees at Thaipusam Festival — an incredibly symbolic Hindu festival. It happens in January or February every year, as Singapore's Tamil community comes together to honour Lord Subrahmanya, destroyer of evil.
5. And there are vibrant streets to explore.
6. In Singapore, you can visit wonderful beaches.
7. You can lose yourself among orchids in the magical Botanical Gardens.
8. You can party away the day and night at a music festival.
9. And you can admire highly decorative temples and sculptures.
Singapore has a unique diversity of cultures and ethnic influences, and on a single street in Chinatown you might see Chinese, Malay, and Indian places of worship.
10. You can head to Chinatown to play some chess with a local.
11. Or spend the night shopping into the early hours.
Singapore has some of the best shopping in the world, and you can't say you've shopped in Singapore until you've spent a night at the cult favourite, Mustafa Centre, where you can buy just about anything. It's open 24 hours in the Little India district.