We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
Whether you're moving into a new apartment that doesn't have an air conditioner installed or your old one broke, buying a new air conditioner can feel like a giant headache. No fear! We're here to help.
First of all, figure out which type of AC best suits your needs and budget.
If you're only concerned with cooling an apartment (or individual rooms), a room AC will probably best suit your needs. These are the three types of units you'll be looking at:
Window units are (relatively) affordable, space-saving, and easy to install and uninstall.
Also, consider the shape and size of your window when choosing a window unit.
Don't forget to purchase a support bracket if your apartment doesn't already have one.
Through-the-wall (or built-in) units are harder to install, but they don't take up window space and can be used for windowless spaces. They also have a more airtight fit, which means less energy loss.
Portable units are easy to move around from room to room and can be rolled away for storage.
Measure the square footage of your apartment/room to determine how powerful your unit needs to be.
The cooling capacity of an AC unit is measured by BTU (British thermal unit). Basically the larger the room, the higher the BTU you'll need.
Other factors to consider when it comes to choosing the right BTU rating: ceiling height, room insulation, sun exposure, location (like whether it's in the kitchen or bedroom), and local climate.
Opt for an energy-efficient model, which means lower greenhouse emissions and monthly electric bills.
Before you purchase, make sure your outlets match the plug. You'd be surprised at how many kinds of plugs are out there!
Also, think about what extra features you'd enjoy (within your budget) — a remote control? A timer? An energy-efficient or quiet mode? The ability to double as a heater/fan/dehumidifier?
Now that you're armed with knowledge, here are some top-rated AC units you can buy online:
1. A sleek and energy-efficient window air conditioner that'll cool your room without being an eyesore.
2. An easy-to-install portable unit perfect for cooling off a small urban apartment.
3. A through-the-wall AC with a temperature-sensing remote control so you can change and maintain the temp from across the room.
4. A bucket-less portable air conditioner you won't need to keep manually draining.
5. A versatile through-the-wall air conditioner that can double as a heater in the wintertime.
6. A budget-friendly window option with all the features you'll need.
7. A compact window unit perfect for smaller spaces with tiny windows.
8. A powerful and energy-efficient portable AC that you'll be blown away by.
9. A multitasking window AC with an econ mode to help save on electricity bills.
10. A smart, WiFi-enabled window unit you can control with an app.
11. A compact portable unit that won't take up too much floor space.
Live your chillest life! ❄️
Reviews here have been edited for length and/or clarity.