1. This week, we found out that Yelp had joined ALEC
2. Don’t know ALEC? They bring together corporations and legislators to write “model bills.”
3. The legislators can then take the bills home to their states and try to pass them into laws.
4. You’ve probably heard of some of these bills…
Wisconsin’s union-busting law.
8. So people were kind of mad when they found out Yelp had joined up with ALEC.
13. “Why not tell Yelp how we feel about ALEC by reviewing it on Yelp?”
15. In 24 hours, over 2,400 people had reviewed the American Legislative Exchange Council on Yelp.
17. Some compared ALEC to a restaurant.
18. Others asked why Yelp hadn’t taken the route of 40+ other corporations and left ALEC.
19. Some just listed ALEC’s more infamous members.
22. Because no matter your intent, when you give ALEC money, you are supporting their agenda.
WI State AFL-CIO
RT @afscme31: Public safety not private profits #ALECExposed
#ALEC protestor with homemade shirt plugging #ALECExposed website
- Saturday is Trump's 100th day in office. We found an average of about one false statement per day from him and his aides so far 💯
- A luxury event called Fyre Festival turned into a total shitshow. Headliners dropped out and guests tweeted photos of bare-bones food and lodging 😱
- American Airlines gave workers a raise — to the highest pay in the industry — and Wall Street is furious. The company's stock has been falling since Thursday.
- A teen had a remarkably petty response when her ex asked for his prom money back: She paid him in all pennies 😏