1. This week, we found out that Yelp had joined ALEC
2. Don’t know ALEC? They bring together corporations and legislators to write “model bills.”
3. The legislators can then take the bills home to their states and try to pass them into laws.
4. You’ve probably heard of some of these bills…
Wisconsin’s union-busting law.
8. So people were kind of mad when they found out Yelp had joined up with ALEC.
13. “Why not tell Yelp how we feel about ALEC by reviewing it on Yelp?”
15. In 24 hours, over 2,400 people had reviewed the American Legislative Exchange Council on Yelp.
17. Some compared ALEC to a restaurant.
18. Others asked why Yelp hadn’t taken the route of 40+ other corporations and left ALEC.
19. Some just listed ALEC’s more infamous members.
22. Because no matter your intent, when you give ALEC money, you are supporting their agenda.
WI State AFL-CIO
RT @afscme31: Public safety not private profits #ALECExposed
#ALEC protestor with homemade shirt plugging #ALECExposed website
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will visit Pearl Harbor in Hawaii later this month — the first Japanese leader to do so.
- Donald Trump has picked retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson to be his secretary of housing and urban development.
- The far-right candidate in Austria's presidential election has conceded defeat, obstructing the advance of the global populist movement in Europe.
- A woman clapped back at her anti-gay neighbor using festive rainbow Christmas lights 🎄👏