1. This week, we found out that Yelp had joined ALEC
2. Don’t know ALEC? They bring together corporations and legislators to write “model bills.”
3. The legislators can then take the bills home to their states and try to pass them into laws.
4. You’ve probably heard of some of these bills…
Wisconsin’s union-busting law.
8. So people were kind of mad when they found out Yelp had joined up with ALEC.
13. “Why not tell Yelp how we feel about ALEC by reviewing it on Yelp?”
15. In 24 hours, over 2,400 people had reviewed the American Legislative Exchange Council on Yelp.
17. Some compared ALEC to a restaurant.
18. Others asked why Yelp hadn’t taken the route of 40+ other corporations and left ALEC.
19. Some just listed ALEC’s more infamous members.
22. Because no matter your intent, when you give ALEC money, you are supporting their agenda.
WI State AFL-CIO
RT @afscme31: Public safety not private profits #ALECExposed
#ALEC protestor with homemade shirt plugging #ALECExposed website
- Palantir, one of the most secretive companies in Silicon Valley, is grappling with a wave of staff departures and the loss of key clients.
- U.S. foreign policy figures are raising concerns about a close Trump aide's ties to allies of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- And Labour's Sadiq Khan is London's newly elected mayor. He's the first Muslim to lead a major European capital city.