2. Glen is played by Matthew Weiner’s real-life son.
He’s not quite as creepy now that you know he’s the son of the show’s creator, is he? And yes, it’s Glen with one N.
4. Jon Hamm could have become famous for playing Jack Donaghy instead.
Can you imagine Mad Men without Jon Hamm? Or 30 Rock without Alec Baldwin? In 2009, Hamm told Entertainment Weekly that “I actually auditioned for the role of Jack Donaghy. … It was way early in the process. So somewhere on tape, there exists me talking about three kinds of heat.”
Megan tells Don, “The radio said there’s a smog emergency. The air’s toxic. I don’t want that in here.” In the world Matthew Weiner’s created, this is less about the historical reference point and much more about symbolism, however, the smog did cause real problems for real New Yorkers of the time.
The smoggiest day the city experienced that year was on November 24th (in Mad Men it’s mentioned as Megan is preparing Thanksgiving dinner), and there are varying reports that the smog killed anywhere from 169 to 400 people in the city that year.
11. In the first episode of “Mad Men”, the photo of Trudy on Pete Campbell’s desk is not Alison Brie.
Because she had not been cast yet, it is a photo of Matthew Weiner’s mom.
“I mislead the audience all over the place, and that’s the fun of the show. I give out little bits of information at a time and then play on that,” he said.
But was he clear about the fact that Peggy’s sister is not raising Peggy’s son. He said the child was given up for adoption.
16. The show paid $250K to use The Beatles iconic song “Tomorrow Never Knows” in an episode.
Weiner told the times, “It was always my feeling that the show lacked a certain authenticity because we never could have an actual master recording of the Beatles performing. It always felt to me like a flaw. Because they are the band, probably, of the 20th century.”
17. Robert Morse starred in the original 1967 movie “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying”
Yes, that’s what a young Bert Cooper looks like.
20. The “Mad Men” theme song is by RJD2.
The song is called “A Beautiful Mine” and you can listen to the full version here.
21. Much of season 3 revolves around a commercial parody of “Bye Bye Birdie” – the nickname Don has for Betty. By the end of the season, they divorced.
…Literally saying “Bye Bye” to his “Birdie”.
I have been in a slow process of selling and giving away everything I own. Like, I don’t have a toilet at the moment. My house is just a wooden box. I mean I am planning to get a toilet at some point. But for now I have to go to the neighbours. I threw it all out.
25. The father of Jared Harris (Lane Pryce) is Richard Harris — the man who played the original Dumbledore.
Harris played Professor Albus Dumbledore in the first two Harry Potter movies (The Sorcerer’s Stone and The Chamber Of Secrets) but died in 2002.
- Iraq's prime minister has ordered the arrest of anti-government protesters who breached Baghdad's fortified "Green Zone" and occupied the parliament building.
- U.S. President Barack Obama literally dropped the mic at his final White House Correspondents' Dinner 🇺🇸
- And NASA is building an $18 billion rocket to nowhere. The agency is more about jobs on the ground than exploring space, critics say 🚀💰