1. Make friends consciously.
Don’t passively drift into a group whose values you’re not sure about.
2. Recognize that conflict is part of friendship.
Don’t let resentments build up—bring them up gently to avoid blowouts down the line.
3. Don’t treat her as you’d like to be treated. Treat her as SHE would like to be treated.
We don’t all feel comforted or appreciated by the same behaviors.
4. Give little (encouraging text messages) and give big (a surprise party).
5. Be supportive 90 percent of the time, but don’t shy away from telling her a difficult truth once in a while.
6. Listen to the difficult truths about yourself when a friend points them out.
Don’t get defensive—this is your chance to really learn about yourself.
7. Accept that you will sometimes envy your friends, be annoyed by them, be bored by them.
What a small price to pay for all their benefits.
8. Improve yourself, and you will be improving them, too.
Friends are a big influence on your health, habits, and aspirations—and vice versa.
9. Social media should only enhance your connections.
It shouldn’t cut into time with close friends.
10. Celebrate your Friendiversary.
Been friends for five, ten, fifteen years or more? Raise your glasses to long-term friendship!
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Donald Trump signed a sweeping executive order that dismantles many Obama era climate change regulations.
- The Republican chair of the House probe into Russia and Trump should step down after secretly meeting with a source at the White House, say top Democrats.
- The Trump White House has a habit of taking credit for business deals struck under Obama, as they did today with a Ford investment plan from 2015.
- The Scottish parliament has voted for an independence referendum that could result in Scotland leaving the UK.