back to top

A Schoolboy Stopped By Police Officers In London Has Been Hospitalised

The Independent Police Complaints Commission has launched an investigation into the incident and is calling for witnesses to come forward.

Posted on
@Womanoffaith07 / Twitter

An investigation has been launched after a 15-year-old schoolboy was hospitalised after being injured while being detained by police officers.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission confirmed that a boy, named on social media as Terrell Decosta Jones-Burton, was stopped by officers on Tuesday 21 November around 9pm while riding his bike in Southwark Park Road, Bermondsey, following reports of a robbery.

According to the IPCC statement, the teenager came off his bike and suffered facial injuries. CCTV footage, obtained by the Evening Standard, appears to show part of the incident.

We're appealing for witnesses after a 15-year-old on a bike was injured when officers attempted to detain him on So…

An ambulance was called and Terrell was taken to hospital where he remains in a stable condition, the IPCC said.

Following the incident, a Twitter account believed to belong to Terrell's mother, Shereen Jones, has accused the Met police of racially profiling her son and using unnecessary force.

In one of her tweets, she claims her son suffered a seizure, has bruising on his brain, and has lost several teeth.

One of her tweets, which includes a picture of her son in hospital, has received over 16,000 retweets, with many people sharing her account alongside the hashtag #JusticeForTerrell.

A Met spokesperson said: "Police were called at approximately 21:05hrs on Tuesday, 21 November to reports of a robbery in Albion Street, SE16.

"The female victim informed officers that her mobile phone had been stolen by a male youth who had then fled on a bicycle.

"A short while later officers detained a 15-year-old male youth on a bicycle in Southwark Park Road. While being detained, the male came off his bicycle and was taken by the London Ambulance Service to a south London hospital where he remains in a stable condition with facial injuries."

They added: "The Met's Directorate of Professional Standards and Independent Police Complaints Commission were informed as is routine."

The incident comes as the Met is facing criticism following the deaths of two young black men following contact with the police.

Edson Da Costa, 25, died in hospital in June, after being stopped by officers in Beckton a week earlier. Rashan Charles, 20, died in hospital in July, after being detained by officers in Dalston.

The IPCC, whose investigators were sent to the scene following a mandatory referral from the Met, is now appealing for witnesses to come forward.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident is asked to contact IPCC investigators on 0800 029 4687 or

BuzzFeed News has contacted Shereen Jones for comment.

Victoria Sanusi is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.

Contact Victoria Sanusi at

Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.