1. This is Carrie Brownstein. She stars in Portlandia, is the frontwoman for Wild Flag, and is an ex-member of classic riot grrl band Sleater-Kinney.
On the minute chance you might not recognize her, Carrie’s an amazing guitarist, comedic actress, and all-around rad person. She’s been established in the alternative music world for over three decades now and continues to make imaginative, awesome work.
2. Now her career includes a commercial for American Express.
She plays very Portlandia-esque mini-characters, including a vinyl aficionado. It’s definitely an unexpected move for her, and one that might be criticized by her more diehard anti-corporate fans, but here’s the thing: She’s a genius who has long since paid her DIY dues. Given that fact, who better to get that paper (or plastic)?
- UK voters sent a massive shock through the world, overturning 40 years of British EU membership.
- Prime Minister David Cameron says he will resign by October.
- British banks got hit hard, and their European peers were hit even harder.
- Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon says a second independence referendum for Scotland is "highly likely."