1. This is Carrie Brownstein. She stars in Portlandia, is the frontwoman for Wild Flag, and is an ex-member of classic riot grrl band Sleater-Kinney.
On the minute chance you might not recognize her, Carrie’s an amazing guitarist, comedic actress, and all-around rad person. She’s been established in the alternative music world for over three decades now and continues to make imaginative, awesome work.
2. Now her career includes a commercial for American Express.
She plays very Portlandia-esque mini-characters, including a vinyl aficionado. It’s definitely an unexpected move for her, and one that might be criticized by her more diehard anti-corporate fans, but here’s the thing: She’s a genius who has long since paid her DIY dues. Given that fact, who better to get that paper (or plastic)?
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 247 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.
- Brexit leader Nigel Farage drew parallels between British citizens' vote to leave the European Union and some Americans' support for Trump.
- WhatsApp will start sharing its users' phone numbers with parent company Facebook, which will mean you could see more targeted ads on Facebook 📲 👀