1. UK locations are GREAT
Not all of the fabulous places seen in the films are the product of movie magic! Many shots were filmed at real (and beautiful) locations around the UK. Oxford University and several churches stood in for Hogwarts’ exterior.
London’s Millennium Bridge and King’s Cross Station have both appeared ‘as themselves’ in the films, which have also featured the coast of Wales and Yorkshire Dales National Park. The Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire was the inspiration for the mysterious Forbidden Forest.
2. There is a REAL Ministry (not of Magic)
In book six, the “Other Minister” makes a visit to 10 Downing St. Well, he would, because that’s where the real head of the government in the UK, the Prime Minister, lives and works.
4. Students do go away to boarding school
Speaking of Hogwarts, many UK students do attend private boarding schools, which are called public schools, even though they are private, tuition-funded institutions. Confused yet?
Additionally, just like Harry, Ron and Hermione stress out over their O.W.L.s, students in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland take their G.C.S.E.s (General Certificates of Secondary Education) between the ages of 14 and 16.
7. There are still milkmen in the UK
Hogwarts tried to sneak Harry’s acceptance letter into the Dursley household through the milk jugs delivered to the door. You don’t see many milkmen anymore in the US, but there are more than 5,000 milkmen and women working in the UK today.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- President Trump has given House Republicans an ultimatum: Pass their health care bill Friday or he'll move on to other issues.
- The suspect in the London terror attack near Parliament, who was killed by police, has been identified as 52-year-old Khalid Masood.
- FBI agents posed as filmmakers to talk to armed militia during a standoff in Nevada, then used the footage against two men on trial in federal court.
- Donald Trump had a photo op in a semitruck. The photos were too good not to become a meme — and the internet delivered 🚛👍